Stoner - John Williams

This is a book that is beautiful, desolate, and filled with perhaps two glimmers of hope that only make the rest of it all the more depressing. For the last four days I have felt that my laptop has had a monster in it because of this book; every time I opened it I would see my Kindle app stare out at me, waiting for me to slay it.

 It is so remarkably difficult to read that I struggle to even think about it, to talk about it. On Page 1 of this novel the reader is assured that the subject of the book, William Stoner, led a perfectly unremarkable and indeed mediocre life in which he had almost no effect on anybody. His colleagues at the University of Missouri never held him in any esteem, and neither did his family. This singular act infuses the rest of the book with the knowledge that everything is going to collapse.

And it really does collapse - but I will not tell you how. I can only urge you to read this book. Read it, and marvel at it. I will be busy weeping in a corner of the room.

*

2016 - Book 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me